» Show All «Prev «1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 117» Next»
Spesutia Cemetery History
St. George's Spesutia Church, Perryman, Harford, MD, US
Notes: St. Georges Episcopal Church, also known as Spesutia Church, where our branch of the Pattersons were baptized and buried. Detailed church records exist going back to the 17th century, showing Pattersons as members of the church and vestry.
Harford County, Maryland was first discovered in 1608 by Captain John Smith of the Virginia Colony, when he made a fairly accurate map of the upper country and its islands and shores. About 1649, Colonel Nathaniel Utie came from Virginia to explore the upper bay region and find a place to settle, and was granted an island located a few hundred yards south of Havre de Grace. He named it Spesutie, using the Latin Spes-Utie, meaning Utie's Hope. The spelling was later changed to Spesutia as it is known today. When the Church of England became the established church of the Palatinate of Maryland, the first Vestry House was erected at Spesutie Parish on the property which belonged by grant to Col. Nathaniel Utie. In 1718, Spesutie Parish was divided into St. George's and St. John's Parishes, and the Spesutia Church of St. George's Parish was erected two miles away at Perryman, where it still stands today.
St. George's Parish
Perryman, MD 21130
Mail Address: P.O. Box 22, Perryman MD 21130
Parish Records are available as follows (try Heritage Books for copies):
St. George’s Parish Register (Harford County, Maryland) 1689-1793 - Bill and Martha Reamy. (Exclusive of records contained in Peden's St. John's and St. George's Registers.) Includes marriages, births, deaths, extracts from vestry proceedings and other. Anglican records cover the northern two-thirds of Harford (originally Baltimore) County. (1988), 2003, 5½ x 8½, index, paper, 175 pp.
St. John's and St. George's Parish Registers, 1696-1851 - Henry C. Peden, Jr. Mostly records of St. John's Anglican Parish, in Baltimore and Harford Counties. Births, baptisms, deaths and marriages. (1987), 2006, 5½x8½, paper, index, 262 pp.
St. George’s (Old Spesutia) Parish, Harford County, Maryland: Church and Cemetery Records, 1820-1920 - Henry C. Peden Jr.. These records were taken from the microfilm copies of the original records found in the Maryland State Archives Special Collections and from cemetery records maintained by the Harford County Historical Society. 2002, 5½x8½, paper, alphabetical, 242 pp.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding v. 13.0.3, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2022.
Maintained by Susan Patterson Buyer.