New Market, Maryland

New Market traces its history back to the early horse and buggy days of the late 18th century. Founded in 1793 by Nicholas Hall and William Plummer: New Market's location along the historic National Pike, made it a convenient stop for travelers in need of food, lodging, and services. The high-wheeled, six horse, Conestoga wagons were frequent visitors on their way to the Ohio Country and beyond. The eight hotels and taverns lining Main Street provided travelers with a night's lodging for a Quarter and a glass of whiskey for a Nickel. Beyond the hotels were barns and pens for resting livestock being herded to Baltimore markets. Wheelwrights, blacksmith shops, a tannery as well as, button and shoe factories and wrought iron nail shop met the needs of travelers and the farming community.

» New Market, Maryland     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





Hamilton Stier house

5 West Main Street, New Market MD


File namestier house.JPG
File Size12.24k
Dimensions368 x 246
AlbumsNew Market, Maryland

» New Market, Maryland     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30» Next»     » Slide Show