(from IAJGS Cemetery Project)
US Comm. no. CZCE000348
Location: 500 meters NNW of Catholic church. The German name was Kassejowitz. It is in Bohemia-Plzen-jih (Pilsen-South) at 49 28 latitude and 13 44 longitude, 15 km. NNE of Horazdovice, 30 km SW of Pribram, and 48 km SE of Plzen. Present town population: 1000-5000 with currently no Jewish population.
Town officials: Obecni urad, 335 44 Kasejovice, tel. 0185/952-19 or 951-00. Regional political authorities: 1. Okresni urad-referat kultury, Radobycicka 14, 301-32 Plzen; 2. Zidovska nabozenska obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen, tel. 019/357-49; and 3. Pamatkovy ustav, Dominkanska 4/6, 301 00 Plzen, tel. 019/354-62 or 358-71. Also interested in site: 1. Statni zidovske muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1, tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 and 2. Okresni muzeum, 336 01 Blovice cp. 148, tel. 0185/157. The key is held by caretaker: Karel Polanka, 335 44 Kasejovice cp. 108.
A prayer room was recorded before 1618. Jewish population in 1930 was 28. Noteworthy historical events: ghetto constructed about 1727; peak Jewish population in mid-19th century (about 230 people), later moving to big towns; independent congregation abolished between 1922 and 1930. Noteworthy individuals: Rabbis Shalomon (1651) and Jakub Lazar (1783). The cemetery was probably established in 1704. The last known burial was before 1943. The Jewish community was Conservative. Other towns and villages that used this cemetery were Podhuri, 5 km away; Nepomuk, 11 km away, and Blatna, 11 km away. The cemetery is not land-marked.
The cemetery location is rural (agricultural), on a hillside and at the crown of a hill, and isolated with no sign. The cemetery is reached by turning directly off a public road. Access to the cemetery is open with permission. The cemetery is surrounded by a continuous masonry wall and a gate that locks.
Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.3086 hectares. 100-500 gravestones are in cemetery, regardless of condition or position with 100-500 in original location and 1-20 not in original locations. Less than 25% of surviving stones toppled or broken. Some stones removed from the cemetery are in (another) cemetery in Kasejovice. The oldest legible gravestone is from 1710. Tombstones in the cemetery are datable from the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. The marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone tombstones and memorial markers are flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, and multi-stone monuments, some with metal fences around graves, inscribed in Hebrew, German, and/or Czech. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery, there is a pre-burial house.
The present owner of the property, used only for Jewish cemetery purposes, is the Jewish community of Plzen. Properties adjacent to the cemetery are agricultural and residential. The cemetery is visited occasionally by private visitors. The cemetery was vandalized between 1945 and ten years ago but not in the last 10 years. Past maintenance: re-erection of stones after 1971 and continual clearing of vegetation by local non-Jewish residents and Jewish individuals abroad. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and by a regular unpaid caretaker.
Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Name, address and telephone numbers of persons completing this survey: 1. Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen, tel. 019/52-15-58; 2. Rudolf Lowy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen, tel. 019/52-06-84; and 3. Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5, tel. 02/55-33-40 on 1 September 1992 using the following documentation: 1. Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohmens...(1934); Jan Pelant: Mesta a mestecka Zapadoceskeho kraje (1984); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); V. Mentberger: Kasejovicti zide (manuscript); and notes of Statni zidovske muzeum Praha.. The site was visited, on 26 May 1992, by Braun and Lowy. K. Polanka in Kasejovice was interviewed.